As a leading Australian company, Watpac is committed to continually creating new opportunities, enhancing value for our shareholders and improving social and environmental returns for our people and the communities in which we operate.
In doing so, we recognise that achieving this commitment involves outstanding performance in all areas of the business.
Watpac’s total business management approach to sustainability involves projects, the materials and resources the company consumes, systems and procedures, fiscal business models and corporate governance.
Watpac’s management systems are designed to ensure the protection of the environment, high quality work and the highest possible safety standards. We are acutely aware of our regulatory and legislative responsibilities and take these very seriously. We also strive to uphold the highest industry standards and take great pride in our international certifications.
One example is our Environmental Management System, which is ISO-14001:2004 certified. Through this accreditation we ensure that environmental management practices on project sites protect the environment from hazards and irreversible harm. We are proud of our environmental protection processes, which are entrenched within Watpac’s wider quality assurance procedures.
Watpac is a member of the Green Building Council of Australia, through which we demonstrate support for the construction industry’s move towards reducing its environmental footprint and adopting sustainable development practices. Watpac has undertaken a significant number of Green Star projects and will continue to seek further opportunities in this area.
Watpac has also achieved Bronze Recognition Level as a member of the New South Wales Government’s Sustainability Advantage Program, operated by the Office of Environment and Heritage. This recognises our commitment to continuously improving sustainability within our organisation and our industry.
Watpac’s sustainability objectives are to:
- Improve resource efficiency by developing baseline data across our operations, against which resource expenditure can be measured
- Establish specific and measurable targets against key sustainability focus areas: our clients, our people, our supply chain, the environment and resource efficiency
- Maintain high standards of business
- Strengthen our corporate profile around sustainability
- Engage and influence our supply chain on materials purchased and procured to improve the sustainability performance on all our deliverables
- Maintain ISO-14001 accreditation and strive for zero legitimate complaints and infringements for environmental impacts
- Influence and engage employees on our sustainability journey through active participation and effective communication
- Continue to liaise with government and industry groups to improve the performance outcomes for the benefit of our wider industry.
Watpac has proudly supported a variety of charities and community organisations through sponsorships, donations, and participation in fundraising events for more than 30 years. Our national charity partner is currently Ronald McDonald House Charities.